Now is the perfect time to buy a new laptop. You could say that every year because IT innovation never stops. But that’s especially true right now. Here are some tips provided by ASUS that can help you choose a future-oriented laptop.
Estimated reading time: 8 minutes
Intel’s latest 12th Gen laptop processors combine the excellent Intel Xe GPUs with a new approach to processor design. It seems no less than a drastic performance upgrade while still offering all-day battery life.
OLED screens that were once only available in a few expensive models are now much more accessible. They offer excellent contrast and superb colors for a much more powerful image than the best LCD screens.
Thunderbolt 4 connections provide excellent durability, and all that tech can fit into a thin, light shell. Buy a great thin and light laptop today, and it’s sure to be the most versatile laptop you’ve ever owned. Here’s what to look for.
Paradigm-changing portable power
We’re in the midst of a sea change in laptop processor design. They draw inspiration from a place that may surprise the traditional PC fan: the phone in your pocket.
Intel’s Core i7-12700H is the best recent example in action. It is a 14-core processor. Six of them are performance cores with hyperthreading; eight are efficiency cores. Most phones use a similar arrangement of cores, and that unlocks a “best of all worlds” experience in a laptop. The battery can last a full day of light-duty use, but there’s plenty of power available when needed.
Maxon’s Cinebench R23 test indicates that the Intel Core i7-12700H processor is up to twice as powerful as Apple’s M1 processor and more than twice as powerful as the Core i7-1165G7 seen in a slew of last year’s thin and light laptops. It’s even 10% more powerful than an 11th Gen Core i9-11900H, a CPU typically found in much heavier and thicker laptops.
In fact, the entire H-series of Intel processors were typically found in chunky laptops prior to this generation. But its desktop-grade power now comes in a thin and light design thanks to Intel’s remarkable 12th Gen design and efficiency.
You get a lightweight, durable PC that you can carry around and use all day without worrying about premature battery drain. Plug it in at home or in the office, and the incredible hyper-threaded performance of Intel’s H45 processors makes it a brilliant workstation suitable for the most demanding tasks, like video rendering, batch image processing and Adobe’s creativity suite applications.
OLED display technology
A few years ago, an OLED laptop was not a realistic prospect for most people. You’ll only find this technology in a few ultra-high-end models, out of reach for most budgets.
This has changed. If you want to buy a high-end laptop, you can have OLED if you want. Why is it important? OLED screens have emissive pixels, which means that each is its light source. This results in a depth of black and image contrast; no LCD screen can touch for the most vibrant poppy image you’ll see on a laptop screen.
OLED panels generally also have excellent color depth, which makes movies and games – and content of any type – look amazing. In recent months, we’ve also seen the rise of high refresh rate OLED laptop screens, which offer a smoother interface and better motion handling in general.
Getting technology that once seemed hopelessly futuristic is one thing, but a good laptop also has to plan for the times to come. Thunderbolt connectors are the best example of this in action in current designs.
A Thunderbolt connector is a USB-C port that looks like any other except for the little lightning bolt logo on the side of the port. However, it is something ordinary.
Where a standard USB-C port offers 5 Gbps bandwidth, Thunderbolt 4 delivers 40 Gbps. That’s eight times more for a total bandwidth of up to 5000MB/s. Most devices today don’t need that speed, but look to the latest SSDs for realize that this will not be the case for a long time.
Such power allows you to connect two 4K monitors running at 60Hz, one at 120Hz, or even an 8K display.
Making Intel’s 12th Gen H-series laptops sing requires more than basic components alone. An advanced cooling system is a must and should be considered before choosing a laptop.
Next-generation cooling keeps 12th Gen Intel processors running at peak performance for longer. Heat buildup eventually leads to CPU throttling, and the best cooling systems need to maintain stable temperatures under pressure without generating too much fan noise.
Pay attention to the importance a manufacturer places on cooling on their product web page, and look for comments about heat and noise in the reviews you read.
Where can I find an upgradeable laptop?
The next question is where you can get all of these features in one laptop. Our top recommendation at the moment, which we think will cover most people’s needs just fine, is the Asus Vivobook S 14 OLED.
It’s a portable 1.5kg laptop with desktop-grade Intel Core i7-12700H power, a beautiful 1800p 90Hz OLED display, a high-capacity 70Wh battery, and two Thunderbolt 4 ports. The IceCool cooler uses dual 6+8mm heat pipes for optimal efficiency, and we also think it’s very competitively priced.
However, it would be useful if you delved into Asus’ Zenbook and Vivobook ranges as well. The company has banked on the latest Intel processors, OLED displays and Thunderbolt connectivity, and other models offer larger screens, flexible hinge designs and even higher display refresh rates.
ASUS’ range of performance-leading laptops make them a one-stop-shop for all user needs, from portable for kids to use on the bus or in the car to a truly powerful device for anyone. runs a business from his bedroom.
To make your search for the right ASUS laptop easier, we’ve put together our recommendations, so you don’t have to waste time:
Best ASUS laptop for…
- Ideal for players: ASUS TUF GAMING F17 – as the name suggests, this laptop is mechanized endurance and battlefield brilliance explicitly designed for gamers. High power, maximum cooling for all-day gaming, stealth capability, and stellar visuals combined with lightning-fast GPU and CPU performance means it can keep up with gamers. The sound system means you can immerse yourself in the action or have two-way noise cancellation, so background noise isn’t a distraction. But the optimized gaming keyboard has technological overtravel triggers in every key for faster responsiveness and effortless control. This precision makes this laptop hard for any gamer to resist.
- Ideal for children: ASUS Chromebook Flip CX5 – built for the cloud, this laptop supports Google Play and the Chrome browser to stay in sync with users’ favorite apps. Keep your kids entertained on long car rides or on the way to school with a quad-speaker design and a Harmon Kardon-certified audio system that delivers pristine sound, so they stay quiet. The ergonomic 360 degree lift hinge means the keyboard can be moved back and forth without breaking and extends battery life for longer use.
- Best for Movies: ASUS Vivobook Pro 15 OLED (M3500, AMD Ryzen 500 series) – with its stunning 15-inch NanoEdge FHD OLED1 display that streams smoothly so there’s no flickering, and impressive Harman Kardon-certified sound, the Vivobook Pro 15 OLED immerses you in everything you watch. The FHD OLED1 NanoEdge display is super bright – up to 600 nits – and has an 84% screen-to-body ratio, as well as 100% DCI-P3 color gamut for ultra-vivid, vibrant and rich colors even in low light. It’s also PANTONE® certified for professional-grade color accuracy and TÜV Rheinland certified for low blue light emissions. So you can stream movies all day without any adverse effects on your eyes.
- Ideal for creators: ASUS Zenbook Pro Duo 15 OLED UX582 – the laptop of tomorrow for creators, as its eight-core Intel® Core™ i9 processor and NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 3070 GPU provide all the power needed for productivity at home or on the go. An excellent 4K OLED HDR touchscreen includes an ASUS ScreenPad™ Plus secondary 4K display and an all-new tilting design to deliver effortless ergonomics and smooth workflows for pen and keyboard users. This laptop lets creators capture every detail with unparalleled professional-grade graphics and 100% DCI-P3 color gamut, bringing true colors to life and up to 550 nits of peak brightness.
- Best for the budget: ASUS Vivobok S14 (S413) – Compact and sleek, the Vivobook S Series is best in class for performance, and this model boosts performance by up to 40%. Ultra-efficient thermal design and power-saving features, plus Intel Core i7-12700H delivering twice the power of the most popular latest generation Intel processor seen in other thin and light laptops. This laptop offers up to 17 hours of battery life. The quick charge feature helps recharge a low battery to 60% in just 49 minutes. ASUS Vivobook S14 intelligently optimizes performance, thermal and power settings and features silent mode and ASUS WiFi SmartConnect to automatically select the best source for a seamless connection. Designed to make your life easier, it features a full-size10 backlit keyboard for comfortable typing, an in-display fingerprint sensor for one-touch login, and an optional ASUS numeric keypad 2.0 for typing. easy data.
Page MeWe by joining the MeWe social network.What laptop do you use? Are you ready for the future? Please share your thoughts on one of the social media pages listed below. You can also comment on our
This message was provided to us by ASUS for publication.
Last updated May 9, 2022.